Dogs know who has to be listened to and who doesn’t. Whoever sets the example gets the respect. The one the dog first submits to, in the dog’s mind, is leader of the pack. The dog is second and anyone else descending in pack order.
Spending quality time with the dog will strengthen the pack bond, and create a more friendly and sociable dog who understands you, and feels safe within his pack. Your dog should be at the bottom of the pack not in the middle somewhere.
If the dog is to view you as the Alpha he must know that he can trust you in every situation that arises, and all his needs will be provided for by you. When enforcing the rules of your living space it is important to be consistent and regular routines that can be depended on by the dog should also be established.
1. Be sure to pass through doors and passage ways ahead of the dog.
The alpha has Rite of passage. This is very important to dogs. First rights always go to the alpha.
2. Eat first–then feed your dog.
3. If you find the dog blocking your way, make him move out of your way–do not go around or step over him. Sub-ordinate animals show deference to the Alpha by moving.
4. Call your dog to you to give him attention and show affection. Don’t go to him.
5. Likewise when coming home, if your dog does not come to greet you, ignore him. If you go to the dog then, you are treating him as the ALPHA.
6.When you play with your dog, be sure that you end up with possession of the toy, and keep hold of it Coupled with praise and reward the practice of taking objects from the dog, such as toys, food etc will help to reinforce understanding of who is the Alpha.
7. Don’t allow your dog to sleep on the bed with you at least until he fully understands who is the alpha. At the very least he will view himself as an equal and this is storing up trouble for later.
8. Practice discipline in a way that the dog understands, when the behaviour is unacceptable. Catching him in the act is essential, or he won’t understand what the correction is for. Make direct eye contact. Like wolves dogs talk with their eyes. In this case it will reinforce your dominance.