What to Ask the Breeder
- Do you have the parents on site? May I see them? (Father may not be available if owned by someone else.)
- What are the good and bad points of the parents, and what titles do they have?
- Where were these puppies raised?
- How have you socialized them?
- What feeding regime do they have?
- What treatments have they had to date? Have they had their 1st health check, worming, and flea-treatment, and first of 2-stage inoculations and been micro-chipped?
- Are you willing to supply and sign a written agreement that purchase is subject to a satisfactory examination by your veterinary surgeon within 48 hours of purchase?
- What are the congenital defects in this breed?
- Have your dogs been “screened” and “tested” for hereditary health problems and are they “certified.”(e.g. for GSD’s hip scoring, heart rated parents for Boxers.)
- Are their pedigree and registration papers available?
- Are the puppies insured? (All KC registered puppies are entitled to 6wls free insurance cover for any illness during the first six weeks in your care www.kennelclub-petinsurance.co.uk – a scheme subscribed to by most responsible breeders)
- What guarantees do you provide? Can I view the Terms of sale or contract? (Concerned and responsible breeders offer contracts that protect not only the buyer and seller, but also the best interests of the puppy.)